Monday, August 8, 2016

Thai Goodness: 5 Under-rated Food you must eat

I am really not much of a foodie myself. But my BF is a serial gastronomer. He actually looked online for the food reviews but honestly some of them are not worth the hype. These are some of the places that I felt it was worth making the effort to travel there for (despite the rain)
P'Aor Menu
1. P'Aor พี่อ้อ
+66 2 612 9013
Tue - Sun: 10am - 9pm
68/51, Soi Phetchaburi 5, Thung Phaya Thai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok (Map)
68/51 เพชรบุรีซอย 5 ถนนเพชรบุรี , ราชเทวี , กรุงเทพมหานคร 10400
P'Aor
This is relatively unknown in the Singapore blogosphere, but they are pretty famous in Thailand and also on TV. Wouldn't have gone there if a friend didn't send the link cos she saw it on TV. It is not the easiest place to navigate. But we had GPS and it was quite near to my hotel (around Platinum Mall) so we thought we had to try it out.
It was not very crowded that day cos it was pouring. But nearing dinner time, the place gradually grew more crowded. If you like tangy tom yum taste, this is the place to go. I love the soup so much. The BF on the other hand adored the crab meat on rice. I could even taste the shell. That's how fresh it is! A must go, even if the location is kinda of ulu. I gave you their Thai address so there's no reason no taxi driver will bring you there.
Pink Ruby Chestnut in Coconut Milk
2. Pink Ruby Water Chestnut in Coconut Milk
I always thought my favourite Thai dessert was the Mango Sticky Rice. But I just fell in love with the Pink Ruby Water Chestnut in Coconut Milk. Initially, I thought it could only be found at Chatuchak Market. But actually, you can find it even in the food court. I was so obsessed with the red rubies, I even had it for breakfast the next day just to figure out what it was made of - Water Chestnut apparently.
I only tried 2 but I thought the one at Chatuchak Market was way better. Not sure whether it was because of the warm weather that I lost all sense and even cents (didn't want to shop). I even commented to the BF "I might need a drink every 10 mins! Get me out of here!" But for their Pink Ruby, I actually even walked back to the store to take a photo after the first bite. (That good huh?!?)
Chatuchak Market
I won't recommend you going all the way there for it cos the temperature there is inhuman. This is coming from someone who didn't even weave through the narrow streets. If you really want to shop, just go to the malls. But if you are there and is looking for some energy-giving fuel-pack, do try their squid. Despite being grossly yellow (buttered, I think), it was really yummy. I am a squid lover so maybe I am just biased.
We did try to be adventurous and had the Squid Eggs. Actually, I don't even know what I am eating. There's so much things inside and it is pretty much an acquired taste I presume. It is too fishy for my liking, but you can try it for novelty. Don't even bother trying the famous "Thai Coconut Ice Cream". It is way over-rated. Not sure why I even queued up for it when Wimi at my door step taste way better.
Have a Zeed
3. Have a Zeed @ Terminal 21
This was another place that we did not plan to go. We were in a rush to go to the airport (no pun intended) after the massage so we just went to the nearest shopping mall. It was one of the restaurants which had a queue outside. Being awfully Singaporean, my instinct told me "the food here must be awesome!" And it is rather delicious. 
I had the Grilled Pork Neck because at the last restaurant I saw 2 model-like ladies consuming it. My assumption was if these slim-conscious people are eating fatty food, it must be worth the calories. My verdict of Have a Zeed, you could order what we did! Haha. The spicy Tanghun is quite different and very spicy. Good to taste it at least once. I super loved the Tofu (Can't remember the name but it had a chef recommendation) It is super Chinese but the skin is so thinly crispy?!? Actually, I really don't know how to describe it because I have never tasted anything like that before. We had mushroom soup. It is Tom Yum soup without the prawn stock (Yes, after my cooking lesson, I can now taste what is added in my food!!!)
Terminal 21
The mall is rather easy to find, right beside the station. And the mall is really an attraction itself. Even the toilet is Instagram-worthy. But due to time constraint and the BF insisting that people might take me as a pervert if I try snapping photos in the toilet, I didn't have much memories captured on film.
Also it is the nearest station to Healthland Asoke, so after your massage if you need a good meal, you can come here and try Have a Zeed. There are other restaurants around that are really good as well. I am not sure why no bloggers ever bothered to write about it. Another under-rated place!
4. 7-Eleven Breakfast
7 Eleven BangkokNow people is gonna think I went mad, putting 7-Eleven food in the list. But well, they do have a great selection of delicious breakfast which you can't find in Singapore. I even found a "Yakult" which I saw many Singaporeans buying as well. Plus-point, 7-Eleven is literally everywhere. It is like every 15 mins walk, you spot another convenience store.
I had one right beside my hotel. And so it just seemed to make sense to pop over for my breakfast needs. It is not dirt cheap (but still cheap), but the food is good :P There are also occasional "new stuff" which you can try out. P.S Tao Kae Noi started its roots from 7-Eleven too. So don't judge, 7-Eleven is the snack biz incubator in Thailand.
5Rod Fai Market 2Rod Fai Market 2
Rod Fai Market 1 is really far from the shopping area, such that even the taxi driver advised us not to go there (not that we planned to go Rod Fai Market 1). Rod Fai Market 2, however is right beside a train station. Hurray! It is like a Pasar Malam but there are quite interesting stuff there. I bought some stuff and there were manicures/ tattoo booth that I was quite tempted to try out. But the BF didn't really thrive well in crowds so I couldn't stay longer :(
I can't find the website for the above drink but their chocolate was so sinfully thick and good. :P Yummy. By a stroke of luck (cos I was rather sick of Thai Milk Tea, one more Milk Tea, I swear I am going to puke), we ordered the unconventional choice of chocolate instead. It is a must-have if you are going there.
Rod Fai Market
My personal opinion is to try and put Rod Fai Market 2 in your itinerary. It really has a lot of street food. I don't have a lot of amazing photos because seriously you only have the tummy of one meal there. And we chose the Wanton noodles which the Siu Mai and eggs were delicious. The fishball just tasted like blend piece of rubber. I did see people having the seafood there! So you could try that.
There are also bugs which the adventurous me wanted to try so badly. But the BF seemed so adamant to not join me, and you know it is really no fun to do stuff yourself. So I gave it a pass. I tried another type of Choco Milk, healthier choice (but sinful taste better hands-down). There was also this ice-cream that gave off smoke (dry-ice). Looks friggin awesome but I had no more space in my tummy :(
Rod Fai Market 2
I think it might depends on individual. I like places with atmosphere. I would really have glug down alcohol, reveling in the pub music. But of course, the BF is the complete opposite. He kept pointing at his watch to me when I excitedly chirped "one more row"! Plus there were so much things to look at. I am so sad to leave early. The party haven't even started and I am going home. Bleh!
Optional List
1. Mango Tango/ Somtum Nua @ Siam Square
Mango Tango
I think I have an overly high expectation of Mango Sticky Rice to begin with. Mango Tango is good, don't get me wrong. But I kinda thought it was touristy. And maybe a bit over-priced. My impression is Mango Sticky Rice should be cheap and good. But then, I had Mango Sticky Rice at the airport (just wanted one last taste of Thailand) which cost slightly lesser than Mango Tango but tasted a lot less delightful. So don't get the airport one, get Mango Tango. At least it looks good and taste good, more value for money right!
Somtum Nua
I didn't take really good photos at Somtum Nua cos that day everything didn't go as planned so I was grouchy and fangry (effing angry and hungry). So the BF tried to let me eat good food cos everyone says I am always happier after eating. Somtum Nua is well-known for serving good food. It is also right smack in the shopping district. Didn't put it under the Must-Eat cos you probably have eaten it before anyway.
2. Thai Tea Floss - Chatramue 
Chatramue
Chatramue can be commonly found but not every store sells the dessert - Thai Tea Floss. The BF actually ordered wrongly, thinking this was the Thai Milk Tea. I think this brand is more popular among the locals because despite the store being located at quite a touristy area, the shopkeepers weren't really able to speak English. I managed to communicate with them with my broken Thai and fantastic Thai-accented English.
We kept saying "Ok" to all the toppings, I even joked with the BF that by the end, we will be paying double the price. Toppings are FOC by the way. So yeah!!! It taste good, but I don't think anyone should go out of the way to get it. You should just keep your eyes open on the street to bump into a store. Oh, and you can buy their tea in packet form at Big C. 
3. Boat Noodles (Thing Tiao Reur)
Address: 121 Dinso Khwaeng Wat Bowon Niwet, Khet Phra Nakhon, Krung Thep Mah Nakhon 10200, Thailand
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ntzJD
GPS: 13.755279, 100.501525
Boat Noodles
This was recommended by Miss TamChiak, but I really think this is too out of the way. The boat noodles are really cheap but to travel all the way there is just mind-boggling. Plus, there is a famous restaurant that is opposite the street. This is probably more local flavour. They even use the pig blood. Gulps. I guess it is not really my thing. Unlikely to make a trip there just for it. 
Bangkok
A photo of some unknown monument while I was waiting for a cab who was willing to bring me back to hotel. Sucks, when nobody wanna send you home. :(
Well, do share with me if you have any good eateries to share since I really think I will be going back to Thailand soon. I am possibly a next Jim Thompson in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment