Thursday, January 17, 2019

Comfort Food: Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh

I have been receiving quite a bit of feedback from readers telling me that I should really venture out more to the other sides of the island cos not everyone live at my side of town. And I have to admit that my food posts mainly came from a certain area.

Since I value my readers' opinions, I promise to take more conscious effort to eat my way out of my comfort zone. :D And speaking of comfort, I thought I will share with you a comfort food - Bak Kut Teh, for readers who live near Sin Ming.


Some of you may have already heard of this place because it is an old name - Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh. Situated in the industry park area of Sin Ming, you may be shocked pretty packed when I was there for lunch. That's probably not a surprise because this shop first Bak Kut Teh shop to introduce the clear broth soup as well as loin ribs (龙骨) into the market.

Bak Kut Teh used to be a poor rickshaw man's staple. But now, it is a local comfort food. What makes a Bak Kut Teh is really how homely and comforting it is. Honestly, before I had my meal, I was feeling kinda glum and rather inconsolable. I am not saying that the Bak Kut Teh here is magic, but it did uplift my mood. :D


Maybe all I really needed was a satisfying meal to make me stronger like my forefathers to take on the tough days ahead. What really made me enjoy the meal even more was how affordable it is. For that much of food, it is less than S$100. :D

From left to right, top to bottom:
  1. Rong Chen mixed pot ($29.80) - This is very value for money if you want to try a variety. In retrospect, we should have gotten ourselves a piping hot Signature Dragon Rib Soup ($9) each instead. 
  2. Chicken Feet with Beancurd Skin ($5) - Generous portion with lots of beancurd skin. The chicken feet isn't as good as the Dimsum type but for the price-point, I give it a thumbs-up. 
  3. Salted Vegetables ($3) - A star among the sided-dished. It was not too salty, and was just right. You have to order this. 
  4. Fried You Tiao ($1.50) - No Bak Kut Teh meal is complete without this!
  5. Braised Pig Trotters ($7) - It is my parents' favourite. It is really tender and there is no other place you can get at such premium quality at this affordable price. 
  6. Braised Intestines ($6) - I would consider this mid-range intestines. Like all the other dishes, the serving here is generous. It is a good dish if you don't have a specific craving to satisfy. 
  7. Fried Egg with Cai Pu ($6) - Personally, I prefer my eggs spammed with Cai Pu. But if you prefer something more balanced, I think you would love this a lot. 

And no Bak Kut Teh meal is ever complete without a nicely brewed tea. They have a good selection there. You get to have good conversation while enjoying the tea. (Although the place is packed, it is still quite conducive for conversations) Pss, by the way, their coffee is super good too. So try a cup while you are there.

For those of you who live very far, you can also try to make your very own Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh. They sell their sachets at $28 for box of 8. One of my rare ventures out for food food, and I found a gem :D I guess this means there will be more of such journeys. :D If you feeling moody and need some perking up, do try having Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh. By the way, they also have other food i.e. chicken rice and zichar there too if your companions want other variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment