Thursday, January 3, 2019

Secret spots in Singapore

Yea 2019 is finally here. Honestly, 2018 hasn't been too bad of a year, but I really want 2019 to be better. Feeling pretty hopeful about it, because finally...I have made up my mind to make a change. :D More happiness, more joy, more smiles.

Basically, more to life! Since year-end is always a good time reminisce about the past and evaluate decisions for the future, I decided to share with you some "hotspots" that throw you back to the past, like wow.

1. Lorong Buangkok

Possibly the last of its kind, this is a kampong, right smack in Singapore. So, real people actually live here and there are even the overhead telephone lines. Though you can find such scenes in our neighbouring countries, this is really awesome because it is just so unexpected to find something like this in Singapore.

The area isn't big and a part of me really wished that this scene can be conserved. I guess it must be tough for the folks living there to always have curious strangers peering through and wanting to snap photos (super guilty of this). There are also mozzies flying around, but if you want a true kampong experience, you really need to give and take a little.

Take buses 70 or 103 from Serangoon MRT Station and alight 10 stops later at B67079. When you see cross the road, you will see a Shell Petrol Station. Lorong Buangkok is situated behind the canal!


2. Grassroots Book Room 

The hubby and I chanced upon this Indie bookstore coincidentally and I think we both fell in love with the place. Sorry for not taking many photos, but this bookshop is quaint, gorgeous and even comes with a cafe. The selection of books held were mainly chinese, but the titles were atypical.
Between me and you, I barely read any Chinese book. But for the first time of my life, I bought a Chinese book ("a blind date" too) and actually asked the hubby to get it for me as my Xmas present instead, which he readily did. I haven't exactly started reading the book (read it the wrong way round the first time...golly)

But I am very proud of myself for taking the first step :) Really excited about trying the cafe the next time round. This place really is a gem so please support it cos my heart will break if it close down. (The owners currently have funds to sustain it for 3 years.)

Grassroots Book Room. Katasumi Koohii 一隅珈琲 (cafe)
25 Bukit Pasoh Road, Singapore 089839
Opening Hours: 12pm – 8pm (Mon, Wed & Thu), 12pm – 9pm (Fri & Sat), 12pm – 6pm (Sun), Tue Closed

No comments:

Post a Comment