Sunday, November 17, 2019

Moleskine On-Location Sketching Workshop

This month, I feel like I have pushed myself out of my comfort zone and challenged myself quite a bit. I received an invitation to join Moleskine sketching workshop. Although I have quite a bit of creative flair for writing, I can't draw to save my life. But the funny thing is, I actually look forward to going for art lessons because I never really had the chance to experience such activities when I was a kid. 

Usually when I go for events, I end up taking tons of photos. But for the first time, I was so engrossed in the event that I barely took any photos. Quite honestly, it was one of my most stressful lessons because everyone around could draw so, so well. But...I told myself if I pick up a skill or two and is better than I was before I stepped into the room., whatever people may say, I am proud of my work.


Our sensei for the day was local artist - Paul Wang. With him, I feel like I am not just learning technical drawing and painting skills, but also the philosophy on life. I figured out while drawing lines that I  have absolutely no patience to reflect and do repetitive work. (What a terrible human I am!) That's probably also why my art pieces always more often than not look very mediocre. I probably have not put aside enough time to practice and improve. 

And because I am not that great in art, I never really thought of owning a sketch book. Cos if it has to be permanent, it has to be perfect. The same goes for notebook. You guys may not know I actually once owned a Moleskine notebook cos it was so elegant. But, I didn't use it for myself in the end. It was so precious that I gave it to the Hubs who was someone I treasured as much. In retrospect, I should have gave myself a Moleskine notebook for my own fleeting thoughts. Because, they do deserve to be saved on a better medium, rather than some scrappy book. :'(


Maybe I am ignorant, I never knew Moleskine was such a young brand, established in 1997. Given the high quality and timeless design of their notebooks, I always thought it was some European home brand. Apart from their notebooks, I also never really tried out their stationery and bag collection. The sleek design of the Metro Bag Collection particularly stood out to me. In fact, it looked a lot like the work bag I am using. Comparatively, the metro bag seemed like a better deal than my work bag. It was equally sleek but came with more compartments and air mesh at the back. 

I got to bring home the bag and all the stationery I used. Dono whether it is lucky me or lucky Hubs cos he is the one who got to use Metro Bag for work. But at least, I have full rights to the stationery. With my full tools (sketch book, watercolour pencils), I have really no excuse to stop honing my drawing skills. :) 

Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. 
Keep your garden sowed with happy dreams. 

To start 2020 right, you can save your thoughts on 007 and Star Wars Limited Edition Planner Collection if you are a fan of either series. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment