Saturday, March 23, 2019

Real Journeys: Milford Sound


I have to admit...I was glad I took a tour for Milford Sound with Real Journeys. Much as I love driving, I was positively tired. And it was great trying out different options - cruise, bus, car etc. Going on a tour means they have sieved through the scenic spots along the way...so you don't have to stop for things ain't worth your time.

As part of the package, you also get an experienced tour guide, who could explain to us how the magnificent wonders of nature were formed. Interesting trees and floras were also pointed out to us. Honestly, we have passed by them so many times on our own and have failed to notice them. Oops.


The road to Milford Sound isn't particularly difficult to drive. Travellers can also choose to drive to the dock and join the cruise instead. However, parking can be a chore and I doubt most cars have a glass-roof that let you admire the tall mountains. :D

Real Journeys provides different Milford Sound packages. For us, we picked the Milford Sound Nature Cruises because we wanted a smaller boat and a longer ride. A smaller boat means we can go closer to the rocks/ shore and we really wanted more time to soak in the beauty of Milford Sound.




Because the water at Milford Sound is quite calm, the journey on water is smooth. Even on the small vessel, none of the passengers got sea-sick. The nature cruises do not have a big kitchen, hence there is no option for a buffet lunch. (For those of you interested in having the buffet lunch, please check out the Scenic Cruises here).

Nonetheless, you could top up and get yourself the bento or the picnic set. Alternatively, you could also grab some food at pit-stops. Much to the envy of many, we got the bento. :P It came with sushi, miso soup and rice. Mmmm! And...it is tasty enough to satisfy your oriental craving! Personally, I think the picnic set is quite yummy too! Life really felt great, with a jaw-dropping view as the backdrop.


True to its hype, Milford Sound is truly a sight to behold. None of my photos can rightly do its justice, you really have to see and be there for yourself to immerse in God's creation. There were layers of tall, rocky mountains, I swore I would have gotten lost if I had been the navigators. We also had a guide on board and we were told that Milford Sound is beautiful in all weathers.

We had sunshine throughout. Our Milford was not shrouded in a mystery mist, but was grand and ready to leave every passenger dazzled. Through our guide, we squint and caught sight of tiny lighthouse in the horizons. We even spotted seals camouflaged on the rocks. And these are moments where a tiny boat comes in handy...cos we could approach them and catch them close-up.



And here's my favourite moment! For me a trip can never be complete, if you can't bring a bit of nature home. Rumours say be splashed by the waterfall and you will go home 10 years younger. Let me know if I look my teens now. Hehe. Unfortunately, for me I didn't have the best spot. And when I did, the boat was moving away.

Since you are my readers, let me leave you some tip so that you can get the best view on the trip.
  1. Sit on the left-side of the bus. The best view are always on the left!
  2. Have picnic pack indoors. Mind you, the wind on deck is no joke. If don't want your food to fly (unless you are having the bento), have them indoors.
  3. Hog the front of the deck (L2) midway of the trip. Most passengers would have given up on the wind/ coldness and huddle to the back or indoors for a hot drink. This is your moment, cos that is when we will reach the seals, lighthouse and waterfall. 
  4. Bring a wind-breaker. To secure your best spot, you will and must need this!


Real Journeys office is located near the harbour at Queenstown, so it is quite easy to find them. Unlike other tour agencies, complimentary transport is transported to and fro your accommodation, so you don't have to worry about driving to town in the wee mornings and late evenings.

Just so you know, there are also overnight stays at Milford Sound with Real Journeys! It is always booked out months in advance, so this is something up your alley, you better act fast. You get to do sea-sports and will have the opportunity to catch golden hue cast upon the mountains. Now, aint you glad you hear from me early! 

No comments:

Post a Comment