Sunday, June 2, 2019

HK High Tea: Yum Cha at Marco Polo Hotel

When most people are in Hong Kong, you are bound to "yum cha" aka drink tea. But after yumming so much tea, we really wanted to try out the English High Tea. Yes, I am quite a fan of high tea now since the last one we had in NZ (you can read more here!

If you are in Hong Kong from 21 May to 31 Aug, check out the British Wardrobe Afternoon Tea. Inspired by Phase Eight and elements of Britain, the talented pastry chefs at Marco Polo Hotel have created the stylish afternoon tea with nine sweet items and four savoury teatime treats to showcase a gorgeous ‘wardrobe’ .


I am not kidding when it is a whole wardrobe. And do drop by on an empty stomach as the set is substantial. We totally had difficulty munching down everything because of its sheer volume and aesthetics. Everything is so pretty you will start off the whole journey feasting with your eyes, your phone then your mouth.

Every piece is so intricately made, it seems to do such injustice to the chef if you don't capture each and every one of them. I have to admit, half the time I was playing with my phone, arranging it left and right and trying out different combination (Sheepish).


On the whole, the taste of the pastries also come with an element of surprise, particularly for the savory one. There is more dimension to the taste, so you may not like all that is being served. Nonetheless, they provide a good break in taste to the rest of the sweet delectables. For the sweet pastries, they are generally at a good level of sweetness and in no way fall into the category of "surfeiting".

My personal favourites are the New York Cheesecake with Blueberry, Strawberry Roll and Raspberry Cupcake. The Hubs thought their mango tarts were really good. Go in pairs for the tea and you will get to enjoy it at a discounted rate of $488 for two persons (Psss it cost $368 for one person). Although I am not sure if the hubs was the right partner to go with, because this tea set definitely appeals to the ladies more.


A huge shout-out to the tea itself, cos the selection was amazing. Instead of trying the usuals, I opted for a rose tea which pleasantly surprised me. It was so good. I think I slurped down 3 pots of it. And the ambience is amazing (though the dim lights is challenging for photography). There was a pianist in the background. After long walks on the unfriendly, wet streets of Hong Kong, it felt so good to sink in the couch and just...chill.

And because I was so comfy, I was in the mood to take tons of selfies. Oh yea here's a photo of me devouring a headless white chocolate figurine (comes with the tea by the way). I swore not to eat it and really wanted to tabao it home...but erm everything must try right and you know what it tasted really good, I shouldn't have saved it for last.

No comments:

Post a Comment