Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Down with Covid - What to do if you have an unvaccinated child

 


The last few days of February zoomed past just like this. One by one, we came down with the Covid flu like a stack of dominoes. First the husband, then our little one and lastly me. For the little one, it started with a fever and vomit fest. It was so difficult to find any info online and on MOH. And so, I called my friends instead - the worldly mother which I consult for everything under the sun and my sick friend who also had a C+ toddler. 

To be honest, I was torn between sending him to the clinic or asking a doctor to come to our place. My husband told me that the clinics were filled with Covid patients and I didn't want our kid to catch a strain (should he not be C+). I didn't know of any doctors who did house-calls and my friend sent me - Speedoc. Fair warning, the consult/ test is fugging expensive and when we managed to call in the hotline, they turned my kid away (cos he was less than 3 years old). Fortunately, my panel doctor was ok to take a look at him. 


Like the adults, the kids also got a stash of flu medicine. The only difference was that it was much more challenging to keep their fever down. We had to monitor his temperature aggressively and rotated between paracetomol and panadol every 3 hours. Baby was really angsty on the first day, the subsequent days were slightly more manageable, but still I had to burn my mc to care for him. By Day 3, his fever was more or less in control. 

Since we can't bring him out, staying indoors did drive him a little nuts. He ended up breaking a glass and acquired furniture climbing skills, risking his life. He was also fascinated by my heels when I "threw away" (hid) his shoes so that they would stop reminding him the freedom he lost. 


I definitely got away easy. I only had a flash fever, slight sore throat and lost my sense of smell on day 4 on-and-off. But it did break my spirit. I only medicated myself one dose of the dubious "lian hua" chinese medicine that is raging throughout social media and hydrated my self with 1 cup of Vit C, coconut drink and had chrysanthemum tea for water instead. I only bothered to test on day 6 (because hey who got time for this when you have a toddler) and cleared it at one go. Wheee~~

The husband had body aches, fever, burning throat and was lethargic. Based on my friends' symptoms (yea, I had a lot of mental support because most of them were down at the same time), his was also considerably light. He took western medication and took 7 full days to recover. Not sure why, but he tested himself daily from Day 4 onwards. 

Through this experience, I can only comment that the protocol keeps changing and is so confusing. I think the image above is the most updated as of now. So my friends and I all went to see the doctor and all of us came back with different understanding. Eventually, we all decided to be considerate and not step out of the house (even for essentials) as long as we are still positive. 

Oddly, the current protocol allows you to step out after Day 7 (whether or not you are negative) which is kinda of weird. How did this 7 day rule even come about? As I am typing this, the streets of Singapore are more empty than usual. I have more of less resigned to fate and is no longer whiny about my predicament (somehow C+ makes people grumble more lol). Just happy to catch back the lost time and thankful we brave through this with little after-effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment