Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Public School vs Private School

Based on my kid's school uniform, I guess it is pretty obvious the type of school we eventually sent our kid to. At the end of the day, we decided on that particular school because the parents raved about the school teachers - on how caring they were. (I happened to be there during the parents-meeting day when I dropped by to enquire more.) And that was pretty much the over-arching factor for us. 

We did visit a private preschool and honestly, the facilities were pretty dope and did blow me over. However, the husband noted that the principal was absolutely uninterested in my kid (more interested in my money maybe). There was a lot of emphasis of the teaching curriculum, which the husband felt was overrated since the toddler is too young to appreciate


Generally, I also noticed that private schools tend to be located in more inaccessible places (maybe because they want to have a bigger compound). There is also no school bus available. Since the child will be sent on a daily basis to school by his caretaker (the grandparents), the location was quite challenging. We may have to commit ourselves to private car rides daily if we wanted him to reach school on time. 

The school fees was also a lot higher and you can either choose half day/ full day schedules. The husband and I discussed and we thought that since we found a decent public preschool, we should give it a try first. Should it be absolutely unsuitable, then we will find other options. 


I have been quite a hands-on parent. So honestly, the so-called curriculum in my eyes are quite rigid and more boring than my home-schooling activities I have prepared for him. (You can read more about them here.) I don't find it value-adding in any sense. 

Lastly and most importantly, the educators are definitely more crucial in a child's development than the school itself. Also, I intend to still play an active role in my kid's education. So far, I have noticed that the public school has as much updates as a private school and provides pretty impressive programmes. I am not sure if it is the particular school is outstanding or if all public preschools are the same. 


Fancy Facilities of Private School

No comments:

Post a Comment