Saturday, January 7, 2023

I froze my first packet of milk

Before the baby even arrived, I had a boob infection. And breastfeeding was seemingly impossibly tough. By the third day post-partum, I was pretty sure I am going to give up on breastfeeding. By a twist of fate (probably due to power pumping and the rights boosters - will write more on them in a separate post), I became an over-supply mother in 2nd month of post partum.


Being an over-supply mother means I need to learn how to freeze the milk. I found this summary which I thought was very useful. Previously, I also never used any milk storage bags. Youtube was very helpful in that aspect

What I am doing is to maximise each bag by freezing alternate day feedings. Having said that, most of the time, I still feed the excess to my #1 because he takes it and there is less work.) Apart from the labelling, I would wrap each bag with a kitchen tissue so that they are better separated (not stated in the youtube videos)


What I realise was some breastmilk packets are more premium than the rest with more functions. The best so far is Marcus & Marcus ($19.90 for 50 pieces). For the thawing of breastmilk, you can either move it down from the freezer and let it slowly thaw or use the warmer for quick thawing. Should you be comfortable with the latter, the temperature sensing function on the Marcus & Marcus Breastmilk Storage Bags would be very useful. 

One thing to note, you should also let your little one have a taste of the thawed frozen milk to make sure they are not fussy about the taste early. Otherwise you will be freezing in vain. Ending the post with a photo of the tools I used for my first packet of frozen milk T_T. Can't believe I have come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment