Saturday, July 4, 2026

Forest Bathing Experience Review

I was so inspired by Will Smith in Pole-to-Pole doing forest-bathing and having this stark relisation of life that I decided to go on one myself. Forest Bathing basically originated in Japan which involves aimless wandering within nature. In Pole-to-Pole, it is recommended for the feet to touch the soil. It helps to alleviate symptoms of mental fatigue, helping to manage stress and boosting immunity. 

I went on a guided one with Gentle Walks because I didn't know how to start. And frankly, forest bathing isn't cheap. It is around S$60 per pax. Because it was an event hosted by Sttoke, I got it at a slight discount and goodie bag. I thought that was the most affordable it would ever be, if I ever wanted to try. 

It started off with some sharing and gentle meditation and awakening of senses. Through this, the guide "forced a slow-down to my pace" and I could feel myself hearing sounds and smelling scents I ignored - chirping of birds and earthy smell of the gardens. I could even and appreciate the breeze. When I re-opened my eyes, the world looked a lot more vibrant and beautiful. 

During the exploration, I was relaxed - no KPIs, no timeline to catch. I just let curiosity took over me. I ended up banging into my kids who were doing their own nature walk nearby. That got my cortisol pretty high again. I could feel myself speaking faster (maybe more agitated). Note: From that, I concluded it is better to go on this journey alone to enjoy a deeper self-reflection. 


The whole session lasted for 2 hours. I left feeling I would do that again (myself) cos I can't afford S$60 every time I do it. The husband said I looked happier and more radiant when I came home. The children also seemed more serene than usual. There was definitely a glow. To fully retain the therapeutic effect, you have to engage in nature frequently i.e. 20 minutes a day. 

Personally, I felt the garden you go to, matters. I doubt Garden by the Bays would have the same effect on me because it was so busy with tourist and had a lot metallic (non-natural) elements to it. Also, it was too close to my workplace, which by-association won't allow me to shake off and immerse fully. For those who are new to this, I would suggest going for a guided session first so that you would know how to start the journey and calm the mind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment