Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Only the finest with Shabestan

If you are into something exotic, you are in luck. Because today, I will be sharing about one of the finest Persian cuisine I ever had in my whole life. This is my second time having food from the middle east region and the experience was so different from my first. The first time I had such food was at a shop at Tanjong Pagar at a recommendation of my colleague. Boy oh boy, that was the last time I ever wanted to taste such food.

The good thing about me is that I am always open to second chances. And there are good reasons for doing so. Shebestan is a fine example of that. If I didn't give middle eastern food another chance, I would have never stumbled upon this gem. While I was at Shebestan, I noticed that most of their clientele was non-Chinese. Quite a pity really, because their taste is quite suitable for locals.


It has been such a long while since I came to a restaurant which I have absolutely nothing but raves for. From left to right, top to bottom:

1. Tabouli Salad ($12): We ordered this simply because the other table beside us had this. And I am glad we did that cos this is an extremely good appetizer. This dish is made of familiar vegetables such as chopped parsley, onions and tomatoes, but the taste is highly unfamiliar and in a very, very good way. It is not a typical salad, so try it if you must. 

2. Soups - Ash Reshth or Soup E-Jow ($11): Generally, I will never recommend having 2 soups at a restaurant because one would always be an obvious winner. But this time round, I am truly conflicted. I think I ever had Ash Reshth (a yogurt-based lentil soup with Persian noodles) elsewhere and it was horrid, but this was divine. I slurped up both the soup. Chef Hamid told us that the soups are boiled and brewed for hours to get such a taste, and I am thankful he put so much effort into food preparation. Otherwise, we would never taste such goodness. Go for both cos they are just that good. 

3. Appetiser Platter ($35): The dips for this is out of this world. If they sell the dips in bottles, I might have bought a few for my bread. You get 5 dips in total. All are excellent but I will rank them for your sake. Homemade Cheese -> Muhamara (walnuts) -> Hummus -> Borani Esfanaj (spinach), Halim Bademjan (eggplant). Personally, I feel that the salad, soups and appetizer platter would serve as a good meal for 2 already. So come in a group if you want to taste more of what Shebestan can offer. 

4. Horesh-E-Gureh-O-Jujeh-O-Bademjan ($30): I feel really bad for this dish because I felt like a bad parent comparing my kids, and this was the kid that didn't do as well. Mind you, this spring chicken is still an A, the flesh was so tender that it tore off the bone. But the thing is, if I have limited stomach space, I am going to give this a miss because I think I can find something similar outside. 

Yes, we stuffed ourselves for your sake, so read on. From left to right, top to bottom:

5. Persian Saffron Ice Cream ($8): This was the last dish I had there. Madan, the store manager insisted that I had to try this when I told him I was too full. And I am glad I caved in, cos this pistachios ice-cream is out of this world and Shebestan isn''t even an ice-cream maker. I told him I only have room for 1. After I had it, I actually had room for 2. Haha. Dang Desserts Tummy. 

6. Shabestan Platter for 4 ($165): Value-for-money, this is what I would call it. It is definitely too much meat for 4, it is more like for a party of 8. You get to taste all the meat, but I am not into all. Highlights for me are the prawn kebab (Yes, for someone with slight prawn allergies, I risked it all because this was exceptional), lamb on the bone, beef fillet (always a beef girl). 

7. Assorted Rice: This is a special made, so ask for it when you are there. I love all the rice types, especially the rice biscuits. All I can say about Shebestan is that you either never had such dish before or had it elsewhere but they just seem to do it better. It is not a little better but so much better, till it is memorable and you know you will come back for more. 

8. Drinks selection: Most restaurants tend to lose focus when it comes to the sides and their drinks but not Shebestan. I can safely say, try anything that catches your eye because they never fail to impress.


Mind you, it is not only their food that is fine. If you want an intimate setting, grab a table indoors. If you want something more light-hearted, go alfresco. It is a perfect place for special occasions with family and friends. I don't think it comes as any surprise but Shebestan was awarded the Best Middle-eastern Restaurant in Singapore. 

For the Chinese Singaporeans, I think you are missing out. This is one hidden gem that you must try! For me, the question is when can I find the occassion to come back. Heehee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment