Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Help, I paynow the wrong person

And so, I fucked up. I bought something on carousell and transferred to a wrong party. I admit I shoud have been more careful. Usually, I don't keep checking the number I am transferring to and to make matters worse, I am actually a little dyslexic when it comes to number. The only reason why nothing like this happened because the mobile numbers I keyed in were wrong/ not tagged to any user and I had to re-check. 

This time, the number looked right and the name seems correct too. I was buying some kid's stuff and a lady's name popped up. Sounds about right. The only reason why I knew I transferred to the wrong person was only because the seller spotted it and told me she didn't receive my funds. 


I freaked the shit out ($ wasn't substantial) and immediately tried to research how to get my money back. And fortunately, I did. The first thing I did was to call the bank, who isn't that helpful. They told me to (i) contact the payee and explained the situation and hopefully they transfer you the money back. If that fails (ii) submit a form to get the bank to do a bank recall. So basically, the bank would call the payee and ask them to transfer you the fund. However, they have a choice to not obey and then (iii) you would have to file an official police report. 

I did manage to get my money back at (i) while subtlely hinting that I would proceed to (ii) and (iii). Note: Filing an official police report would leave a record in the payee's file. My payee never picked up my call/ responded to my messages at first. It took half a day before I managed to close this. Not sure if this helps, but I also addressed the payee by her name. It was so tedious and draining on me. Going to be more careful in future. Sharing this because the research is already done anyway LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment