Friday, August 23, 2024

Pop Toy Show 2024


By now, I am sure you guys already know how much a fan I am over toys and collectibles. This is my first time to the Pop Toy Show so it was a pretty exciting experience. Compared to Singapore Comic Con (you can read about my experience here), this is definitely more toddler-friendly. There were good spaces between each booth so I could navigate my stroller. Also, it was not as noisy. There was only one stage and the sounds from the stage didn't seem to blare everywhere. 

There were also a lot of giant pop-ups for us to take photos with. This time round, I brought my toddler along (it is a first for me) and I was happy to see that he enjoyed himself fully. For parents like me who wants to slowly share our interest/ hobbies with our kids, the Pop Toy Show can be a good starting point because it is free for children under 7 years old. 


There is some repetition with Singapore Comic Con, but this one is more focused on blind boxes. Also, perhaps because of Pop Mart origins, I noticed there were alot more Chinese/ Taiwanese vendors. Not a bad thing because they hit me hard based on my personal toy design preferences. The  familiar brands such as Toys"r"us, Precious Thoughts etc. were also there and I ended up grabbing a few items from them because the promotion prices / freebies thrown in were out of this world. (I know because I have been monitoring the items I wanted for really long.)

In terms of toy trends, I have to say "ugly" is the new in. (P.S. I am not a fan of Labubu.) But I do see variations of similar style. My kid however is totally in awe with these new designs. I got snubbed when I asked if he wanted any Pokemons. For people around my age group, you will be glad to know that a booth was selling reasonably priced Pokemon figurines. :P


In terms of the tickets, there is the standard ticket and the premium tickets. If you are a "look look see see" person like me, I would suggest getting the early bird standard tickets at $28 each. Bring a kid and it is $14 per pax. Super value for money. Plus MBS is a really great location because there is so much family friendly activities which you can pursue after.

For collectors, I would suggest to go straight for the premium tickets which grant you 3 days access. You get 2 hours early entry and premium access to exclusive drops, artist zones and can even go back with a limited edition goodie bag. I heard from other goers that the goodie bag is good. Overall, I would rate this as a super enjoyable experience. If you like blind boxes and plushies more than the display figurines, this is the place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment