Saturday, September 28, 2024

New Exhibition at Science Centre - The Copernican Principle

It has been a while since I last stepped into the Science Centre (I think I go to KidsSTOP more often). With the launch of the roving exhibition on The Copernican Principle, I thought it was a good time to drop by. To be quite frank, I would think the Copernican Principle is quite a complex concept to grapple and Mr Jan Świerkowski, founder of Instytut B61, a science artist did put good effort to curate retro games that were engaging and fun. 

Copernican basically modelled a universe which place Sun rather than our Earth in the center (very revolutionary in his time). The exhibition explored more philosophical elements of the principle though its games - to stop centering around ourselves and start thinking about how our actions can impact the greater universe

The exhibition of the The Copernican Principle is not huge but rather impactful. Maybe because they were arcade games, the exhibition was very relatable and popular with the teens. My kid and I had to hang around a bit before we got to play it :) But not to worry, Science Centre is pretty huge and filled with other thoughtful exhibitions. I was quite impressed with how the educators managed to simplify science and make it engaging

While we were there, we also explored other exhibitions - such as the active ageing, the concept of fear and oil distillation. I think the older kids would enjoy the fear exhibition. But I chickened out with my kid because I don't handle darkness, clowns well. Some of the exhibitions was quite difficult to explain to my toddler, but it did spark innate curiosity in him along with endless questions. And I think that is a good first step to explorational learning


Not all the exhibitions hit me on the right spot. Personally, I am quite freaked out by creepy crawlies (a whole tank of stick insects, somebody spare me please), and AI as human companionship. Much as it was a learning journey for the kids, it was also one for the adults. The world is revolving and I really need to keep up my pace on its development. Science Centre is complimentary on weekdays (non-peak), I guess this gives me a good excuse to come back more and re-learn. 

For those with toddlers, you can check out the waterworks exhibition. I am not sure how much scientific learning is embedded within, but one thing I can guarantee, the toddlers enjoy it. No photos this time round cos time was scarce, but the younger one went once and was wild about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment