Saturday, April 18, 2020

First Gift to Myself: Hegen PCTO Double Electric Breast Pump

During this period, I have to admit the most of the shopping or site-shopping given that we are all forced to stay in, has been mainly baby's. But, there are certain gifts that are really for the Mother more than the child. One of them is the breast pumps. The Breast pumps is going to be one of the bigger investments during the journey.

I am quite proud to say despite the constant tummy cramps, I managed to convince the baby in me to cooperate so that we can do some reading-up together. Whether you would even need breast pumps would depend on whether you are able to produce any breast milk. Some mothers would advise doing the necessary read-up first then purchasing what you need, so that you won't panic when you need it.


One key thing to consider when you decide to get a breast pump is whether you want a manual or electric one. An electric pump is a lot more convenient but will set you back in terms of finance a bit more. You can easily get a manual pump within a hundred dollars but an electric one would usually be around $300-$400 for a reputatable brand. 

The second question you need to ask yourself is whether if you need a single or double expressor. If are time-strapped, go for the double pumps. I am a working mum, so I wanted something that helps me save time and is easy to carry about. For me, Hegen is quite a good choice. 


First of all, the packaging is awesome. This actually makes a very good maternity gift for friends/ co-workers. I have been in quite a bit of pain lately and receiving a pink package nicely bowed up really makes me feel young, lovely and very feminine. I was very pleased to know that the pumping machine came charged so you could immediately use it (not that i need to) without charging. It is also very light weight and came with a manual pump

Before I received my set, I asked around my "mothers cult" on Hegen. Many people just told me that it was highly reputable but expensive. But I think a lot of people missed out the reason why there was a price premium to it. The pump machine didn't just act as a pump and could be used as a massager before or after birth. You can also customise the massage and suction to obtain more milk. For one gift set, you are actually receiving quite a bit. And I think many people miss out the point that if you have one portable pump, you don't need to invest in two. 


Although the advise I have received thus far is invest after you are you have breast milk, I don't quite agree with that. The pumps mechanisms are a bit more complexed than what I expected and I actually read the manual (first time ever). I think you also need to take into account the cleaning instructions for the specific parts. I actually even highlighted the important parts. Haha. 

The thing is if you are going to hurriedly buy a pump 4-6 weeks after birth, would you even be in the sane mind to process the manual? Cos the manual does provide very good information on the storage of milk etc. Also, I have to admit, I fumbled a bit with the bottles initially, but after a few practice I was quite smooth. I can totally imagine if a newborn was wailing away, I might have spilled precious milk and be so frustrated with the pump, myself and the baby.  



Here are some Hegen videos which I find quite helpful for the assembling of the breast pumps. On a side note, Hegen is running a campaign for a group of women doing extremely commendable work. For a year-long, Hegen will be giving 1000 sets of Hegen PCTOTM Express Store Feed Starter Kit (worth $175) to pregnant healthcare workers from the medical institutions in Singapore dealing directly with COVID-19 cases. 

To these mums-to-be, my heart goes out to you. Please redeem for youself the kit because you more than deserve it. It must be tough going through the days (with nausea, morning sickness, body aches) while saving lives. I can't imagine myself (with my crazy, paranoid mind) in the same situation as you. Please find the redemption information at Hegen's blog. Also, readers, do share this information with your friends whom you know are eligible for this campaign! Lots of love to all and please stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment