Wednesday, February 15, 2023

All you should know about manuka honey

Ever since I had a bad sore throat and was searching on natural remedies (cos this breastfeeding mama is somewhat a purist and is anti-medication), I became interested in the natural goodness of honey. Since I have dumped in so much precious time to research on it, I thought I should just do up a post and share with you guys what I have learnt.

I have always assumed that the higher the UMF (Unique Manuka Factor), the better the honey was since it was more expensive too. Although my previous assumption is true, it is more important to know what are the health benefits you are looking out for.


For the longest time, I have been only taking UMF20 and above honey. The thing is such honey are more known for its medicinal properties for wounds and healing purposes. Much as I am a spendthrift, I wouldn't waste such precious golden honey on my skin. I was tempted and quite desperate to try on my eczema because it was so bad at one point but my husband said I was mad, LOL!

For an average Jane like me, I am actually looking to consume the honey on a daily basis and add it as a more natural form of sweetness to my food and beverage. Guess what is the UMF needed for this? Only 5! So all the roasted char siew/ bak kwa made using UMF20 honey was just perceived goodness that we consumed. I have been wasting so much money T_T 


If you are a Pooh Bear like me, remember never to use a metal spoon to scoop your honey. Reason being, the acidic Honey may react with the metallic surface and damage/ reduce the healing properties of honey. Also I make sure to wipe my spoons dry before dipping it into the honey jar. Generally, you just have to keep your honey in a nice cool environment, not necessarily in the fridge. (I prefer them at room temperature if you must know).

Currently, I get my Honey from Robinsons because when I use the code "ForFunk10" I can get an additional 10% the sales price. If you buy the bigger size, it would be cheaper per gram but I won't really recommend that because I feel it is easier to spoil when it comes to food product. Taste-wise, all manuka honey taste the same at least to me. I just make sure the source is from New Zealand, that's all. 

In terms of food, it mainly acts as a sweetener and we use quite a bit when we make our own bak kwa or char siu. It also taste really good when you add them to breakfast cereals/ oats. My son (older than 1 years old) and I also have a scoop daily. If I have a sore throat, I take it like a soother too!

Might share a few recipes too if any of you are interested, just drop me a note :)

*
*
*
For our readers only, from now till 31 Mar, quote "ROBS-FUNK" to receive an additional 20% on top of the sales for the Hotel Collection from Robinsons and North Island Manuka Honey. After 10 Nov, you may still quote "ForFunk10" for 10% off any item at Robinsons

No comments:

Post a Comment