Sunday, July 14, 2019

Private Chef's Table Experience

Was on a lucky roll lately, cos I won invites to Private Chef's Table and was hosted by one of Singapore's best home chef - Jo Ann. Private cooking has been quite the rage lately so I was quite excited to hear that Jo Ann was whipping for us a 3-course Japanese fusion meal.

It cost about $100 per pax (that's before all the card discounts) and comes with wine pairing. Plus, the ambience was pretty good and you get to observe her cooking, lol. I was a bit shy and didn't know we were allowed to go up close to take photos (you can by the way.)


Not to be harsh, I think Jo Ann's cooking is not on par of the restaurant's standards (maybe cos she is not used to the kitchen) but she is definitely a good cook. I think the menu was more of Chinese food than Jap fusion (cos Jap food makes me think of sushi, udon etc. which don't seem to be part of the menu) I think the freshness and quality of the food were not the best...but the food portion was definitely very generous and the the alcohol was very impressive. Even the hubs who is not much of a drinker drank at least 2 sips!

I wanted to finish every cup of alcohol but I think I might have to be carried home. Haha. Just to share a bit on the menu, so that you guys can have a flavour of what to expect.


Starter
  • Seasonal Vegetable Salad - Nothing surprising about this dish but is definitely of restaurant standards
  • Aburi Mentaiko Crab Cakes - I thought this was really good and she used real crab meat...wow
  • Paired with Monkey 47 Gin and Tonic - This drink blew my mind, in particular the froth made of eggwhite. It tasted more like a nice fizzy drink than the alcohol

Main
  • Fish with Hebehiam (surprise dish) - Super generous but I thought the chilli was not spicy enough for me and the fish was not the freshest. But hubs, who doesn't like fishes finished the whole fish!
  • Baked Shrimp Laksagne - The hub's fav. It was very well done with a surprise element. 
  • Paired with Chivas 12 Sensho Pepper Highball - Yum yum, this time I managed to protect this refreshing drink from the waitress!
  • Fiery Baked Baby Chicken - A very simple dish that I am glad Jo Ann generously shared the recipe with us. Now, we can try ourselves at home. 
  • Paired with Jacob's Creek Reserve Chardonnay - First wine of the day, but I am kinda of hooked on the 2 previous cocktails, so I wasn't as impressed though it was good. 

Dessert
  • Pulut Hitam Matcha Dirt Cake - This is super good, even better than those in the restuarnats. The pulut hitam gave the dirt cake so much more texture. 
  • Paired with Monkey 47 Sloe Gin - Shots is really not my thing, so this is the only drink that I didn't like from the menu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment