Saturday, September 26, 2020

My Nursing Tools

So it is pretty much certain by now, my little boy will probably be induced because I really can't take uncertainty and ambiguity. After a few false alarms which has unfortunately triggered me to stress eat (bet the little one inside is secretly happy with this outcome) and affected my concentration, mood and maybe even sleep (I wanted to do like a hibernation during this period, but yeah...only managed to clock a consistent 10 hours sleep which is a lot more than more mothers already), I decided I just can't and maybe don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore. 

Now that the decision has been made, I am focusing on my after-birth tools. The friendly mummies that I met in the communities have been offering me lots of advise and also handing me some tools which they found useful. Here's some of the must-have which I think you would need. 


1. Hush Hush Baby (S$45)

One of the things which you would need if you are attempting to breastfeed would be a nursing cover.  Hush Hush Baby is a local brand, but for last minute mamas, you can get a piece here. They have the cotton-type which is better for aircon condition. But for me, I picked the spandex fabric which is very lightweight and breezy should we bring baby out to the wild.  Cute max, this is also what I will be bringing to the hospital to protect my modesty. 

There is a slight curve in their cutting which gives quite a bit of arm movement space. Each piece also comes with a matching cover which makes it easy to pack around. Generally, most mothers would have 2 pieces of nursing cover to mix and match. If you follow Hush Hush Baby, they sometimes do have sales (they do hold other items like massagers and warmers) so you can grab yours at a steal like some of the mummies in my chat which I had happily shout out to them on the deal. If you are wondering, there are free ones given in goodie bags, but they are really tacky and even a quasi-fashionista like me would rather die than to be seen with it draped on my neck. 


2. Bebitza (AUD54.95)

If you are in a bit of a hurry, this piece hails all the way from Australia so mailing may take a while. Generally, most mummies will have 1-2 pieces of nursing covers to swap around when in the wash. To be honest, I am quite worried I am not much of a milk producer considering a) I have no leaks, b) by now, I realise my body reacts quite differently to other people in pregnancy and c) I have invested in quite a bit of breastfeeding-related items (which adds up to quite a bit here and there). So, I wanted to make sure my nursing covers were versatile and have other uses

Bebitza had a more shawl-like slip-on design and I haven't seen anything as similar in Singapore. (Most have to go over the head in Singapore.) Hence, I decided to feature it. Bebitza's design are also more mature and suited for corporate. I went for more bold prints because most of corporate wear are very plain and of solid colours so I thought a splash of design would look quite nice. :D You just have to hook it up and you are good to go. Compared to the traditional nursing cover, there is a lot more space for the baby and there is still enough fabric to provide good cover. Note: please read the material carefully before your purchase because some are more suitable for the cooler climates and not appropriate for Singapore. 


3. Feeding Friend (S$78)

I really needed something portable because before pregnancy the Hubs and I would pak thor every weekend. And I don't want this to change. Most of the nursing pillows are really big and bulky. And a Mum wanted to pass me one of her nursing pillow (a very popular brand) which she never really used in the end. I rejected her offer because I really don't think it suited my lifestyle. My Feeding Friend was a lot closer to what I needed. 

My Feeding Friend is inflatable so you can release the air within it when it is not in used and roll it up so that it is compact and portable. I also like that the cover is removable so that I can wash it if it is dirtied by baby. My only grouse is that white may be quite easily stained. There are also other colours available (such as mint, blue, pink) in the future. There isn't much product reviews in Singapore yet, but they seem to have gather traction in Australia. I will be giving this nursing pillow a go and will update you guys so do follow me if you are interested in this product! 

* I have finally inflated the pillow because baby is really coming! For the first inflation, it takes a bit longer, so try to do it at least 2 days ahead!
*
*
*
Follow "Breastfeeding Journey" tags for tips to make the breastfeeding experience bearable!

No comments:

Post a Comment