Friday, September 25, 2020

Food Tour 20: Before new responsibilities

This year is quite an important milestone for me, so I received many cakes and ate a lot of good food. Because we didn't really know when baby would arrive, we had quite a few celebrations and pre-celebrations. Oops, guess we burn a really big hole in the Hub's pocket. A lot of them said baby was very considerate to not pick our important dates. 

I guess he would be really special if he picked any of those dates. But...if this was truly the case, baby #2 will always be less favoured (is hard for me to promise I will not be bias). Cos we kept thinking he would be arriving soon, I gave less thoughts to maintaining my diet. Oopsy!



It wasn't a particular craving, but I have been talking about it for a while. Since we were within the vicinity (lol...my gynae is in that area), the Hubs suggested we go have it before I go into confinement as I would have to wait a while before getting to eat it. Damage: S$100+ Bet he regretted suggesting. The funny thing is I am now 4cm dilated as of this week. Yup, you didn't hear me wrong. But yet...I have no contractions and is not in hospital. 

I sort of wonder is it because baby has figured out that by staying inside, it entails more delicious food. I mean after coming out to this cruel world, all he will be having would be milk and some variety in the first one year. Either that, he doesn't know how to activate contractions and is trying to use gravity to force himself out (that might explain why he is fat).



This is truly a craving. Ever since I had them at Jewel, I have been wondering why can't they be more conveniently located. I was quite pleased to hear that they open a branch at Raffles Hotel (almost bought some snowskin mooncakes back to consume...thank god I didn't cos they contains alcohol) I have to admit that the experience isn't as great as before because Burger and Lobster was extremely considerate and modified my order so that it would be fit for a pregnant lady. 

The lobster was still great but the lobster roll was just dry without the mayonese. Also, I couldn't fully enjoy the drinks and desserts menu. The damage to the Hub's wallet was around mid to high $100+. Felt kinda of bad for wasting such good money without enjoying it as much.



I chanced upon it the other day and was very curious about it. So we decided to have it as a pre-celebratory meal. Given my nature, I always like to rip the Hubs dry during special occassions, this one definitely didn't hit that requirement. The people serving us was really kind and recommended dishes that were suitable for me. Quite honestly, I could only have 3 pizzas from their menu because of the raw elements here and there. 

In the end, we had the state fair fries (S$25), which was yummy even without aoili. Hubs had had the full version and told me it was absolutely divine. We had the Original Famous ($28) and the crust is possibly the best I have ever tasted. This is now my favourite pizza place. The damage isn't great and we even took some pieces of pizza away because it was just too much for 2! Will definiely be there again. This time I am going to bring more friends, so that we can try more items on the menu!

***

This year, we had quite a bit of cakes too. Realise during Covid, it is kinda of trendy to give cakes...lol so I decided to do a review of them too!


I am quite a fan of their chocolate ice-cream, but have never really tried out their cake. Surprisingly, it was very value for money. For less than $40, we got a decent-sized chocolate cake for 8. Among the cakes, the presentation of the box was the most fancy and the cake was the most delicious. This was also my first cake bought by the hubby cos he thought I might never get a chance to celebrate since I might go into labour on the exact day of my birthday. 



This was quite an unexpected cake from work. Haha...sometimes I feel that my boss is one of the sweetest person. I was actually still working from home and she was casually asking me some stuff which I didn't expect she was doing a cake delivery. Quite honestly, I only tried their cookies once which wasn't too bad. I never had their cupcakes let alone their cakes. This is a red velvet cheesecake. But the cheese taste a lot like lemon curd, not that I am complaining cos I quite like the curd. However the crumb crust at the bottom could have been better made



This was the biggest and fanciest cake I recieved...haha. Believe it or not, I never had a rainbow cake despite the hype. So my Dad felt that this was an occassion for something colourful. He suggested chocolate because the colour contrast seems interesting. My only grouse is that the exterior of the cake is rather plain

For last minute people, you will be happy to know that you can order just 24 hours ahead and will receive the cake. Personally, I felt the chocolate was pretty good but the sponge inside like all rainbow cakes was a little dry. Price-wise was quite decent at $68 with delivery. I even pass by GD test despite having a slice. Wheee. I saw another cute cake and might be trying it out next...Bubblegum Cake. The marbling outside looks great, should this be baby's first month cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment