Saturday, October 17, 2020

My First Booster: Cookies from Milk Making Mummy

The battle to increase breastmilk supply is real. Sigh. Before becoming a Mum myself, I never knew the obession with the concept of every drop counts and why on earth are these women "crying over spilt milk". And you know what, I am actually guilty of both. Every pump, you will see me trying to squeeze out every drop from my pump to the storage and there were days I was so exhausted, I spilt milk over myself. I didn't cry...but some cuss words may have been muttered. 

My miserly milk supply was getting stagnant so I decided to give boosters a go. And the first booster I tried was lactation cookies. According to many lactation consultants and my gynae, these cookies won't make much difference. But, I had a sweet tooth and decided that there was no harm trying. Cos at least they are yummy!


These are from Milk Making Mummy. I tried their 2 more popular flavours - Chocolate Chip with Almond ($20) and Chocolate Chip with macadamia and chia seed (S$25). To deliver to your house, you would have to have an additional $10. First of all, you would have noticed these cookies ain't cheap! That's because apart from being sinful, it is packed with a lot of nutritious goodness that a Mum would need to produce more milk. The question is always - Is this your booster?

Between the 2 flavours, I actually prefer the chocolate chip with almond because you can taste the chocolate more. The other cookie tasted a lot healthier and chia seed as we know is a superfood and helps to reduce water retention. I have to say the cookies from Milk Making Mummy came in whole sized and they were generous with their ingredients. I even had scraps of almonds and macadamia falling to the bottom of my packets. Yum. 


Did these cookies work for me? I have to say somewhat. My supply used to be at a miserable 20ml and it increased to a 50ml. Even after I stopped taking the booster, it managed to remain at the level. For info, the cookies from Milk Making Mummy is halal and the main milk-producing ingredient is flaxseed. There is no brewer's yeast.

Would I eat it again? I think so. When I am desperate to increase my milk supply. The thing is I am very, very torn between going totally formula milk because this breastfeeding journey is so disappointing and tiring. I just wish someday someone will say formula milk is better and our nipples can be saved from the agony and deformity :(
*
*
*
Follow "Breastfeeding Journey" tags for tips to make the breastfeeding experience bearable!

No comments:

Post a Comment