Saturday, August 20, 2022

Trimester 2 Woes: Severe diastasis recti - hernia, stretchmarks, giant tummy

We finally reached trimester 2 and can I proclaim how much I love this trimester. As a second time Mum, I pretty much know what I am in for (I think). This time round, I still managed to check myself in to A&E because apprently, I got a Hernia. 

Most people are familiar with the term - diastasis recti which is the weakening and separation of the muscles as a result of pregnancy. I actually didn't know I had a hernia until I casually mentioned to my gynae about a dull pain near my belly button. Turn out I had a 1 cm tear. I had a a freak accident one day and was in so much pain that I couldn't stand/walk and was tearing non-stop. So I checked myself into A&E.

Generally, though the truth was hard to bear, it doesn't really cause much issues in my lifestyle. I just had to stop doing intense tummy exercises which could worsen the issue. And any corrective action (i.e. surgery depending on the situation then) could only be done after labour


My tummy was a lot bigger this time round. My tummy was of this size at 27 weeks during the first pregnancy, but at 16 weeks, this was basically the size of my tummy lol. If you are wondering why there is so much lesser photos of myself this pregnancy, I think I am a lot more occupied this time round. Most of my photos are still of my firstborn, haha. And he still takes the focus over myself. 

During the first trimester, I also had to ask to work at home and was more absent at work because of the nausea. (To FTM, don't be afraid to seek special arrangement during the early stage of the pregnancy, cos it is usually 4-6 weeks max and most people are very understanding.) During the second trimester, I basically tried to catch up the lost time and pave the way so that I can slow down before labour. 

Another reason why I don't like taking photos of my belly was because of the ugly stretch marks. During my first pregnancy, I didn't have any. They only came post-partum and hit me hard. Unlike what the internet states, my stretch marks actually faded very nicely. They resurfaced during the 2nd pregnancy, which I somewhat expected. I am just bothered that the maternity shoots will be ugly lol or maybe I just need to take it from some other angles. 

This is not my tummy, but mine is as bad now. But because I have been through worse (postpartum one was way worse), I know that recovery (though non laser method is possible) so maybe that's why I am quite chill about it. Not in point form this time round, but hope this post let other mothers know that there are mothers who don't go through the perfect pregnancy/ post-partum, but better days are ahead/ So stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment