Monday, December 7, 2020

Baby's First Toy: Taf Toys All Around Me Activity Hoop

 

Although I didn't write about this first, this was actually the first toy we opened for baby. It was really interesting because we got to witness how baby rearcted and eventually warmed up to it. Taf Toys All AroundMe Activity Hoop is basically a circular hoop which you can pop in interesting items to engage the child. It consists of a rainbow baby-safe mirror, felt cards (both in black-white/ coloured, creaking koala, butterfly and snail rattle as well as a plushed koala with a baby teether. 

Honestly, it was initially quite disappointing because at 0+ month, the baby was barely interested in any of the toys. Most of the time, he was yawning at me despite my desperate efforts to play with him. There were some points I wondered if he was behind his peers in his development (Note: It is just me being over-zealous.) Fortunately for us, the toy was quite easy to set up so I had enough patience to keep trying. 


By the second month, our little one can be seen cranking his head to look at the felt cards. As he grew more active (and aggressive), we saw him punching some of the more advanced toys. For me, I only use a-third of the Taf Toys All AroundMe Activity Hoop to make baby turn on his left side so as to shape his head.

At his stage, he would be more reactive to the mirror and black-white felt cards but I incorporated all the toys (different one each time) to expose him to the different textures. Also, I didn't want him to be bored by the same toys. His favourite thus far is the butterfly rattle which we always hoop onto his arm when he is in the rocker. 


By now, as a parent, I have learnt that toys don't always have to be played in their intended manner. My FIL hung the toys on the top of the bunk bed and I thought it was ingenious. I am quite happy with the taf toys thus far as they are encouraging our baby to lie in different poses and seem to develop his motor skills. He used to be rather lazy in doing his push-ups. Now, he would occassionally show them off to me and would even be seen "lifting pillows". It is really fascinating sometimes to see how much he grows and develops, although I admit I don't entirely let nature takes it course (by creating opportunities for him to practice his motor and coordination skills).

Taf Toys All AroundMe Activity Hoop is retailing at S$69.90. It is cheaper as compared to the Koala Musical Newborn Cosy Gym (read my review here). Personally, I prefer the Koala Musical Newborn Cosy Gym  more because I am not very creative when it comes to modifying toys and the baby seems more engaged in the  Koala Musical Newborn Cosy Gym because he is not a fan of tummy-time. But if you are on a budget, Taf Toys All AroundMe Activity Hoop is a great option because it is versatile and can grow up with baby, making it quite a value for money investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment