Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Covid Gender Reveal

I have to admit planning a gender reveal during the Covid lock-down was extremely difficult. There were many vendors who were reluctant to take up orders (for the fear of not being able to fulfil them) and there were some who took the opportunity to charge exorbitant prices. Initially, I was extemely fixated on either getting a gender reveal cake or a gender reveal balloon.

 I quickly realised that this project called for a lot of creativity and I had to be flexible. As parents-gonna-be, we have sort of grudgingly agreed that present for baby is also present for Daddy/ Mummy.  So, I moved along this line and got Hubby a diaper cake. Hahaha!


The Diaper Cake came from Diaper Cakes Singapore. Most people have this impression that diaper cakes are not very cheap and consists of products that are not of very high quality. Diaper Cakes Singapore has different tier levels available and have a mini diaper cake option (from S$54). As this is for hubby's gender reveal, I am not too worrried that it will look too unpresentable/ cheap.

However, if this was a gift for a friend/colleague's little one, I would be fretting about a lot more because I had to ensure that the receiver would be happy with the good intentions. Although, what caught my eye was initialy the price-point, I have to admit that the mini diaper cake looked very adorable and presentable. It wasn't as mini as its name and I definitely won't feel paiseh to give as a baby shower gift <3


Before the reveal, hubby was like hinting "there was no need for any unnecessary fanfare." when I confided in him that I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the gender reveal. Was quite glad eventually I had both balloons and cakes :D The baby boy balloon is also from Diaper Cakes Singapore. You just have to burst a magic pack and the balloon will start to inflate. Update: The balloon remains inflated after a week!

In a mini diaper cake, you will receive a baby onsie, a pair of socks, a plushie and around 7 huggies diapers. Do remember to pluck out the holding pins. I was super tempted to reconstruct everything back cos it was so pretty but it was way harder than I thought. The plushie was surprisingly premium and the size was very good for a newborn photoshoot. The baby's apparel is of decent quality but it definitely cannot compare to the boutique, more expensive brands. Size-wise, it can definitely fit even a fat baby for a while with its wide head cutting. (Yes, I just phewed) 


Lately, I am starting to have a feeling of "shit is starting to get real". Haha, I was looking at the diapers and I realise "Dang, I actually don't have a clue how to put this on a baby". Guess, I got my next research post coming out...haha. Just in case, you guys are wondering how we did the gender reveal. Check out my video above!

Talking about value for money, you can re-use this surprise many times. So you can play it on the hubs, your own fam, in-laws and even your friends. Because this is kinda of novel, you have to be prepared for some "operational difficulties". Watch my Dad's happy face below! 


If you have any babies arriving in your family, you can enjoy 10% off your purchase at Diaper Cakes Singapore if you quote "CHAA2020" as long as your purchase is above $50. This is not applicable for any items on sale. Valid until 31 Dec 2020, guess only lucky babies will get it :D

No comments:

Post a Comment