Wednesday, June 10, 2020

New and Improved: Lao Ren Shanghai Dumplings

Okay, I think I have been doing too many posts on baby stuff. So to cater to the pioneer readers, I will also be reviewing stuff that will be of interest to you. The Dragon Boat Festival will be occuring on 25 June this year, so I thought some of you might be interest on where to get your dumplings. I have never really talked about it here, but my family love glutinous rice in all forms.

My personal favourite is the Nonya dumplings, but sadly most of my relatives only do the traditional dumplings and the shops around my house mainly only traditional dumplings during this period. I think dumplings have been a stick in the mud for way too long. For my more adventurous readers, this post is sure to entice you. This year, you might want to tease your tastebuds and add in some Shanghai dumplings to the mix.


In terms of presentation, the Lao Ren Dumplings wins hands-down. Mooncakes is such a popular corporate gift because the boxes are always so pretty. But if dumplings had carriers like this, dang I think every company will be more than eager to gift them around. And the thing is, Lao Ren Dumplings doesn't even charge that expensive for a box of 6. With delivery, it would be in the low S$30 range. 

This is the first time I am trying Shanghainese dumplings so I was actually very excited. My father being worldly and all told me that it is going to be very different from the local taste we are used to and may be not for everyone. First of all, I have to say the shape of the dumplings already look different from what what we are used to. It is not the perfect tetraheral shape. 


Lao Ren Dumplings has 2 flavours, the original and mala. The original has salted egg (yum) and preserved meat. I think in terms of the meat marination, I probably still prefer the familiar taste I grew up with. For the original, I think our SG Ba Zhang reigns supreme! #localpride For the Mala flavour, I think it is a nice combo, I love mala. I find it spicy (maybe cos my tolerance for spice went down since I got pregnant) but my hubs who takes "Wei-la" finds it a good blend. 

I agree with my Dad that this is not for everyone, but it is definitely a must-try so that you know whether this is a taste for you. I hope Lao Ren Dumplings come up with more novel and exciting combos because I think the Dragon Boat Festival is ready for a revival. My Bro-in-law was commenting the other day, who even eats/makes dumplings now! But if dumplings have a fresh taste and a revamp in packaging, I think the youngsters (not that I am ancient) will embrace it back into their life!

No comments:

Post a Comment