Sunday, August 2, 2020

All about Gestational Diabetes: Machine, Diet and Prick Results

As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I am sadly diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. It is a condition that usually happen during the third trimester whereby the mother's blood sugar level become too high. If not managed properly, baby may be oversized, diabetic since birth or stillborn. Generally, gestational diabetes is genetic (I come from a strong family history of diabetics) and it is likely I will get this again during my second pregnancy and in my later life.

I have to admit when the doctor sent me my report, I was very crushed. My mood was rather bad that day and I think I even took it out on anyone that was in my path. Although it was not exactly unexpected given my diet and family history, it was still very disappointing. (Just because you know you will die one day doesn't mean you will be fine with death!)


Usually the clinic I go to will rent out the machine (at around S$40+) , but as my luck may have it, there was no machine left. Probably due to Covid, the idle lifestyle of many mothers have caused a surge in Gestational Diabetes patient. Was a little bit annoyed because this meant I had to do extra research on my own. The silver lining was I got this whole new set at (around $50 +) and I probably need to replace the strips and lancet ($6.90) at around $30 and this would probably last me well till baby arrives. 

Sharing time, get them from the Polyclinic Pharmacy! They are the cheapest there, anywhere else the price is exorbitant. Also, you don't have to see a doctor. You just need to walk in and make your purchase. It might just be a blessing in diguise cos after using the equipment, I have to admit I prefer having my own given that the price is so close to a rented piece. It would have been a lot better if this was claimable by insurance, but sadly it was not. 


I can understand why some Mummies with Gestational Diabetes get frustrated. I also struggled with the machine on my first day. I did 6 pricks and my first try, I had to do 3 because 2 of them failed. To help other Mummies, set the lancet at 2.5 and prick pointing finger at the side. After much trial and error, I found this the least painful and will draw out enough blood. 

Collect the blood at the bottom of the strip instead of wiping it across the test portion. The strip will "suck" the blood upwards for testing. It takes a while to really get used to it. The next challenge is really to find the balance of the diet, which I found very difficult. I decided to share my meals and prick results because I couldn't find any resource on it and had to try myself to get it right. Note: all our bodies react differently to different food (I can barely take any brown rice but this might not be the same for you).  

Meals and Prick Results (For reference)
** Will be updated as and when I eat something more interesting

Under
  1. 1 Avacado and Green Tea - 5.0
  2. Chicken soup (infused with 1 bottle of Brands Essence) with spinach + 2 Strawberries + Half a curry potato - 5.4
  3. Half cup of milk + Half bottle of vitagen + 2 Strawberries + Fish Soup with Broccoli + 1 M&S Cookie - 5.1
  4. Half a Fried Fish and roasted chicken with lots of vegetables - 5.2 
  5. 2 pieces of chwee kueh with chai po and fish soup - 5.3
  6. Meat and Veg (BBQ Buffet) - 5.2
Pass
  1. Kaya Toast + Chinese Tea - 5.6
  2. Kaya Toast + Instant Coffee + You Tiao - 6.4
  3. Fish Soup + 3 slices of pumpkin cake (chinese version) - 6.2
  4. Yoghurt + Cheese Toast + Green Tea - 5.9
  5. 1 KFC zinger patty (alone) + steamed fish filet - 6.4
  6. Half a chilli crab bao + Green Tea + Yoghurt + Half a popiah + 2 Spoonful of Hubby's Ee Mian - 6.2
  7. Thai  Basil Rice Set Meal (Only ate Half the Rice) + Half a Chicken - 6.5
  8. Half a bowl of Yam Rice - 5.8
  9. Yoghurt with Aloe Vera bits and Cheesy Egg - 5.6
Fail 
  1. Salad (including corn) with Brown Rice as base - 7.0
  2. Grandola (with dried fruits and raisins) with milk - 8.2
  3. 1 Peach + Kaya Toast + Lipton Milk Tea (no sugar) - 6.8
  4. Pork Bun + Red Bean Bun (super small) + a sip of soya bean - 7.7
  5. Vegetarian Beehoon - 9.0
  6. Soon Kueh + Half a cup of Teh-Si + Half a bowl of beancurd + 2 chicken wings - 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment