Sunday, August 23, 2020

DIY Newborn Shoot: What we got from Sunflower Bee

Given what happened during Covid's lockdown, I feel like I have grown to become a Mum that is getting overly prepared. Being pregnant during this period is not really the easiest thing, the gender reveal was already such a pain to plan. And even during phase 2, most mothers (including me) will have to survive without a confinement lady. And maybe...I won't even do a maternity shoot.

But...I don't really want my baby to miss out on his newborn shoot. Because they always look so darn adorable in those shoots and they will only be mini that once. Being kiasu, I decided to start (yes, you didn't hear wrong) accumulating items/ props for baby's photoshoot should the worse befall. My photographer friends have been shaking their heads at such early planning, but you know what it is always good to have a plan...


I have to admit that this is no easy feat because I will be roping in a lot of help from my friends. The first thing to do is to decide the number of theme shoots to do. I settled on 3 because that seems like the right number. The second thing to decide is really the type of shoots we are going to do. Honestly, when you are doing a DIY shoot, you really can't try to complex stuff. Complex props with silk cloth etc. are always pretty but it would totally be unmanageable. 

And so, I thought the easiest would be to use knitted wear with props. I wil be playing with blankets/ muslin covers for the background of the photo. There is a few places to get the "costumes". Some places included Taobao, shopee etc. which the price can be really low but the quality questionable. You could also rebuy from other Mums but their theme and your theme in mind might differ totally. Carousell was a very good place if you plan to get custom-made pieces. Here are some goodies we got from Sunflower Bee.



Sunflower Bee does a lot of crocheted pieces, if you are not after newborn pieces, you can also check out her other works. One of her more iconic pieces would be for the fans of Marvel. Yes, my little baby is going to be the God of Thunder. Thor didn't use to be my favourite hero until Endgame when he became a self-depreciating fatty. Haha. A fan of marvel myself, I have my Marvel shirt ready (provided I slim down after popping to fit in).

Fortunately for baby, Mummy has a friend who is crazy about Thor. This means Auntie B is practically bringing her house of merch to style baby too. Haha. Baby, don't let your head grow too big too fast ok, otherwise you are going to disappoint Auntie B who is already brainstorming how to make you the cutest little god that walk (hmm cry) the surface of Earth.


2. Pokemon ($32)

This is a hot favourite among the uncle and aunties. You know what baby, Mummy has a pikachu top which everyone always tease her for when she wears it on dress-down Friday. Finally, this top might come to good use. Uncle has kindly sponsored his newly bought Snorlax for you to sit beside and compete on who is cuter. 

And Mummy has a pikachu pillow whom she has gotten years ago ahead of your arrival is finally going to be put into good use. All this is very exciting. In fact, this is Daddy's favourite theme for you, my boy. But...he has no poke merch so don't bank on your old man to make you cute ok! Psss...adults take note, Sunflower Bee can make you a magikarp hat. 


3. Jughead ($48)

This one might be the most difficult theme to pull off. Your silly Mummy might have blessed away her old comics. For those who are younger, this is Jughead's hat from Archie's Comic. Baby, your grandma insists that she has the comics stashed away somewhere. Sigh. I am not entirely sure how I will be dressing baby in this one. But I guess it will be a surprise. 

If you guys have any ideas or Archie Comics to bless my way, I welcome you. Hope you guys have fun reading the prequel to baby's shoot. Now that we are counting down literally to his arrival, I am praying that everything goes well. Hopefully, my post-partum mood is nowhere near depressing and I am still in the mood for some creative endearvours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment